FHRS goes live in Hackney. Health Minister Anna Soubry attended the launch of the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) by the London Borough of Hackney and presented some top rated food businesses with their certificates.
The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme helps you choose where to eat out or shop for food by giving you information about the hygiene standards in restaurants, pubs, cafés, takeaways, hotels and other places you eat, as well as in supermarkets and other food shops.
HACCP & Paperwork
As we have mentioned in other parts of this website, this is perhaps the most important part of getting the best rating possible. Besides from that, it is a legal requirement and if implemented properly can be crucial in beating any litigation – either from the Council or from a customer.
What are your options? You could either use a system that:
- The Food Standards Agency has three online systems that are free to download. The positives are that their systems are:
- Offer a good deterrent from the Council's inspectors picking holes in your paperwork. This is because it is a system devised by the Government. In particular, some Councils may not like the Safer Food Better Business pack, but they cannot legally stop you from using it.
- In compliance with Article 5 (EC) 852/2004 of the Food safety laws when a business completes and uses them properly
- You buy 'off the shelf' from a large insurance company or hygiene consultancy firm. Their documents tend to be too generalised, overly complicated, weigh a fair bit and will normally cost you a three figure sum! So whilst the file may look impressive from the outside, you will not be in compliance with Article 5 if you do not implement the contents of the file completely. And given some of the systems we see, it invariably becomes an impossible task for most businesses.
- Machin & Toplass have devised. We:
- Will not charge you the earth
- Will tailor a system specific to your needs. It will be easy to use.
- Make the text easy to read
- Are confident of it being a system that both you and the inspector's will like! Our systems have been audited all over the Country by Council EHOs. We would be very surprised if they find you in breach of Article 5 when you use our system
- Provide a system that gives a better due diligence defence in law than the Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) system. This gives you a better chance of defeating any criminal charges brought against you by the Council. It also gives better protection in defending any civil claims from one of your customers
Click on the contacts page and either phone us or drop us an email. We want to help you get your paperwork working for you and that keeps the inspectors happy!